Monday, March 10, 2014

Our Fears

"Fear is an unpleasant emotion induced by a threat perceived by living entities, which causes a change in brain and organ function and ultimately a change in behavior, such as running away, hiding or freezing from traumatic events. Fear may occur in response to a specific stimulus happening in the present, or to a future situation, which is perceived as risk to health or life, status, power, security, or in the case of humans wealth or anything held valuable. The fear response arises from the perception of danger leading to confrontation with or escape from /avoiding the threat (also known as the fight-or-flight response), which in extreme cases of fear (horror and terror) can be a freeze response or paralysis."

-Wikipedia


That is the wikipedia definition of fear, but thats not how we understand fear.  We need to know theses questions.  First, what is it that we as humans fears most? Second what causes us to fear certain things? Third how do we conquer our fears?

First, humans have all sorts of fears and phobias that don't make a lot of sense.  But a lot of fears are real and can really affect us.  What am I afraid of?  Well, one of my biggest fears is other people giving up on me. If others give up on me, then I would give up on myself and I would probably give up my will to try, feel, love, and even live.  And that scares me a ton.

Second, many things cause fear.  Experiences, weird disorders, images, stories.  The list goes on and on.  I don't think that we should try to avoid gaining or learning fear, but we should find better ways to get past them and react to them.  One experience that gave me fear for a while was getting a gun shot right next to my ear.  That caused me to jump or twitch whenever there was a really loud sound.

Third, like before there are many was to react and try to respond to our fears.  Most of these ways can be broken into two categories, flight or fight.  We can avoid them and run away, hoping that they eventually go away.  Or we can face them and try to beat them and conquer them. I don't really know which one is the best.  My fears just kinda go away after a while, they just fade into nothing I guess.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you made important words stand out. Very powerful post

    ReplyDelete